Structural Test Engineer
Responsibilities include the design, implementation, and operation of structural tests for new and derivative designs of Part 23 aircraft. The ideal candidate is a hands-on person with broad testing and manufacturing experience, and with a particular focus on aerospace structural (fatigue and static) tests. The role will be based primarily at our Vero Beach facility for all design and testing.
Essential Job Functions:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works under limited supervision; work should only be required to be reviewed for accuracy and consistency with meeting overall objectives.
- Work with the respective engineers to understand the test article function, and design a test configuration that replicates the critical loading environments, including instrumentation requirements.
- Design/analyze the structural adequacy of the test fixtures.
- Source and install all necessary instrumentation.
- Work with vendors and in-house machining and fabrication shops to fabricate the fixture design.
- Guide the installation of the test article and perform the tests.
- Provide the data needed to document compliance with the applicable regulations covering the structural strength, crash protection, interiors item retention, basic loads, weight and balance, stress analysis, static test, dynamic test, fatigue analysis/assessment, and evaluation of the design to substantiate aircraft structure.
- Determine and develop approaches to solutions within schedule and cost objectives.
- Acts as liaison with representatives outside of the assigned group/area.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Required Education And Experience:
Requires a Bachelor's degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering; a minimum of 5 years in structural test or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Structural design experience using Unigraphics/NX/Teamcenter environment.
- Experience with welded structures.
- Experience in general aviation certification programs.
- Capability to design and implement hydraulic control systems with MTS hardware and software.
- Strong, hands-on mechanical background.