Senior HVAC Mechanic
Plan and perform a wide variety of complex planning, fabricating, installing, balancing, and repairing of air conditioning and refrigerant systems including, but not limited to, water chillers, cooling towers, roof top and split package units, walk-in and roll-around freezers, ice makers, drinking fountains, chemical testing, etc. Maintain plant air conditioning equipment to eliminate down time and maintain an uninterrupted flow of production. Works from complex schematics, blueprints, work orders, manufacturer's manuals, lay outs, and written /verbal instructions. Plan and make modifications to air conditioning systems in Piper facilities and document changes for future reference, use the following tools, equipment, and materials in the performance of duties: Hand tools, electrical and electronic test equipment, measuring instruments, meters, soldering iron, probes, pipe bender, presses, drills, routers, ladders, material handling equipment, etc.
Essential Job Functions:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Receive assignments and pertinent documentation from Planner Scheduler or Supervisor.
- Respond to trouble calls in an expedient manner.
- Communicate work ticket status to Planner Scheduler.
- Coordinate with customer to diagnose trouble and determine root cause.
- Read blueprints and schematic drawings to determine work procedures.
- Inspect and measures building to determine airflow requirements.
- Plan and assist in layout, and determine sequence of complex air conditioning system installation or modifications.
- Capable of assisting in the planning and drawing (define dimensions) of ductwork modifications or installations.
- Work with air conditioning Sub-contractors on repairs to existing systems and or installation of new systems.
- Operate material handling equipment (e.g. scissor lifts, knuckle lifts, fork lift truck, etc.)
- Examine installed air conditioning systems to verify that system is functioning correctly.
- Make necessary adjustments to balance out air conditioning systems.
- Suggest changes in working procedures and use of equipment to increase efficiencies.
- Plan and make modifications to equipment as necessary.
- Solder, braze, and/or welds as necessary.
- Maintain all records, files, and reports.
- Report improper operation, faulty equipment, defective materials, and unusual conditions to a lead person.
- Performs scheduled Preventive Maintenance on air conditioning systems.
- Climb and work from extension ladders, scaffolding, and high roofs.
- Other duties as assigned by leadperson or supervisor.
Required Education And Experience:
High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED), 5-7 years of related experience and training / equivalent combination of education and experience commensurate to a two year technical school. Requires the use of specialized knowledge along with the ability to interpret drawings and/or blueprints.