Design Engineer II - Structural Design
Mid-Level Engineer specializing in Airframe (Structural) design. Prepare drawings, Engineering Orders (EO), and specifications in a standardized format for use by Manufacturing in reproducing a product which will be in conformance to approved Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) type data, adhering to Records and Release procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Model conceptual layouts and proposed design changes in Unigraphics NX (CAD)
- Modify existing drawings, both CAD and manual, to correct errors and implement new designs
- Create new CAD drawings using Unigraphics NX
- Construct and manage design packages using Teamcenter
- Use best practices to design detail parts and assemblies (mostly sheet metal) that are low cost and easy to install or service
- Determine appropriate standard hardware, utilizing stocked items when able or sourcing specialty hardware as required
- Coordinate with other departments (Systems, avionics/electrical, etc) to meet program milestones and release drawings according to the project schedule
- Work on projects that span multiple areas of focus including wing, fuselage, empennage, interiors, seats, landing gear, placards, etc
- Support manufacturing and experimental hangar as required during build and testing of product improvements
- Research existing parts and structure in areas that may not have CAD models
- Facilitate design review sessions for cross-functional coordination
- Some project management required including project scope creation and recommendations, progress tracking, and completion estimations
- Perform other related duties as required
- Bachelor degree in engineering or technology, (preferably mechanical or aerospace), and minimum five years general aviation related experience in airframe, mechanical drafting, or design.
- General knowledge of all phases of aircraft design, testing, approval, manufacturing, inspection and service; materials and material strengths, all manufacturing processes and techniques relative to fabrication and assembly; working knowledge of Unigraphics CAD; and familiarity with FAR 23 and certification are required to perform the duties of this position.